Chef Robbi’s Phyllo-Wrapped,
Goat Cheese Disks
Phyllo dough sheets
Goat cheese, room temperature
Candied red onions—recipe below:
2 Large red onions, small dice
Simple syrup (1 part water to 1 part sugar)
Red wine vinegar
Combine all in saucepot and simmer at moderate level until liquid is reduced and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
1. Carefully unfold 1 sheet at a time of Phyllo and brush completely with melted butter. Top with second sheet and brush with butter, finishing with 3rd sheet and butter.
2. Using a round cutter of plate, to your desired size, cut out rounds or buttered Phyllo.
3. Place approximately 1 teaspoon of candied red onion in center of dough round, top with 1 or 2 mint leaves, then goat cheese disk.
4. Fold dough, enclosing disk. May be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
5. Bake on cookie sheet in 375 degree oven until Phyllo is golden brown.
6. Serve on side of your favorite greens, dressed in your favorite vinaigrette.